Lila, Chop!

Eating out

Let’s face it, eating healthy is hard enough. Sticking to one’s meal plan is infinitely harder when dining out (all those temptations!) and not in control of one’s meal prep.

Dessert, always better when split between two people.

So how do I do it?

1. Portion sizes. Remember what a serving of meat should look like: a stack of cards for 3oz or the palm of your hand for 6oz. A serving of carbs should never be more than the ball of your fist (1 cup). Fill the rest of your plate with lean veggies.
  2. Don’t overeat. It’s OK not to finish your plate, especially if you’re going to have a multi-course meal. Pace yourself.
  3. Things that add up to make a difference: avoid bread baskets, grated cheese/extra sauce, and second helpings. Take your coffee/tea black and split desserts with someone instead of having one all to yourself.
  4. You can never go wrong with water as your beverage.
  5. Alcohol:If you’re going to order wine, order a glass instead of a bottle.
  6. Always go for lean-cuts. Filet mignon, although the most expensive, is the leanest.
  7. Vegetarian doesn’t necessarily mean healthy. A plate of mushroom risotto is 90% carbs/fat + 10% veggies, averaging 600-800 calories.
  8. A burger is just a sandwich if you take away the fries. Just be wary of the portion sizes.

When all else fails and you have to order a melted sandwich, opt for less cheese and no sauce

On Control

I’m careful with what I order but not at the risk of exasperating waiters or my present company. (Not anymore, at least. I used to be much more of a control freak, but I’ve learned to relax over the years when I saw it simply made me intolerable to dine with.) I try to order what I like and what my body needs. Sometimes there’s a clash and gluttony wins, and that’s just life. I try not to make a habit of it.

On a good day: Chicken salad with flax bread

So what do I actually order?

For Lunch I’ll generally order wraps, salads, or when I’m in Asia, noodle soups. For dinners, grilled fish or chicken with veggies, or sushi. I’m a sucker for sushi. Then there’s coffee: always black and usually something sweet split with my sweetie if we’re going to workout later :-).

Espresso with a speculoos cookie in Malta